Monday, May 07, 2007

Pout :: 'FashionMista' is Denied from Wikipedia

fashionmista imageMy valiant effort to right the world in the use of the word "fashionmista" was revoked by a Wikipedia editor, twice. The term "fashionmista," in this blog, means "fashion mouse." It was originally coined as the name of a cat toy for Dinah, who loved to knead my velvet bedspread. I figured that if I have velvet, then so must she. And so the fashion mouse for cats was born.

Soon after, my friend created a blog. Her profile name was New York City Mouse and her blog was Country Mice in the City. It was my first direct exposure to a blog, and when I went to comment, I was prompted to enter a user name. Wanting to be part of the crowd, I used "fashionmista" as my adoptive mouse name in her blogger world.

This of course takes for granted that I guess no one else uses "mista" as a mouse in another language. I could have sworn that "mista" meant "mouse" in German or something. But apparently not. What has been happening, however, is this incorrect use of the word "fashionmista" to mean a male fashionista. This is most annoying, as I have my Google Alerts set to inform me of any use of the term "fashionmista." You can imagine my dismay when I read: "Look at that fashionmista strut his stuff!" Not that there is anything wrong with a male fashionista. But I'm not sure why an "m" would make it masculine, when there are already terms like "metrosexual." And anyway, a better term for a male fashionista could be "fashionhombre."

So, that's my sad confession. Wikipedia rejected my entry, not once, but twice, at first citing blatant advertising. Fair enough. I deleted a link to this site, and chopped the three paragraph long history of the term into one sentence about how a fashionmista is a fashion mouse for cats made of high quality fabrics. That's it. The end. I didn't mention how it was created for my design company, Katie James, or provide any links, or mention this blog. It was rejected a second time for blatant nonsense. I guess I have to sell a million fashionmistas and have a million visitors a day to this blog in order to be sense enough for Wikipedia. Harumph.

Home | Link to this

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, a fellow "Harumph-er"! Mouse in German is "Maus" (pronounced "mowz"), which I only know because my favorite show while living in Germany was "Sendung Mit Der Maus".

It's a show for kids, but the mouse is quite cute. :0l I'm surprised that Wiki is so stringent...It doesn't seem fair that they pick and choose what's relevant. Perhaps "FashionMista" can be listed under multiple entries as they do with many other terms in the Wiki world that have multiple meanings...

Unknown said...

I love Harumph-ing!

Could attempt it with the multiple listings. But those would need to get approved first! Geeze. And they knew that my second attempt was in fact a second attempt. So it's up to you the Mistas to make a dent. :)